Friday, August 8, 2008

cupcakes


There has been a lot of hype in recent years with cupcakes: they are mini cakes, personalized; an individual cake for someone to enjoy all to themselves, whats there not to like? I have heard of sprinkles cupcakes a few years back and was curious to know what was so special. Since I was living in Utah at the time there was no way for me to try one fresh from the bakery, so I settled for the sprinkles cake mix sold at Williams and Sonoma. I made them, tasted them and didn't see the big deal. I realize I should not leave it up to my cooking to determine the true taste of these cupcakes. A few years later, and a move to Dallas; Ryan brought me home some sprinkles cupcakes. I was excited to give them another chance. The first one I tried was a white cake with chocolate icing. It was horrible. The cake was so dense with no flavor. I moved on to the chocolate cake with a marshmallow filling. The cake improved, it was fluffy, the flavor was OK. I tried a few other variations of chocolate and that was enough for my verdict. Sprinkles cupcakes are just another cupcake. Which is something that died in the 1980s with children's birthdays.

3 comments:

Gordon, Jamie, Evelyn, Claire and Bonnie said...

I guess I'll return the box of cupcakes I got you for your birthday. Just kidding! Too bad they were such a disappointment. That's why I stick to ice cream!

Unknown said...

Please burn me a copy of the tracks on your page if you have the CD. One!

Sorensens said...

YES! Someone eles who is like whats the big deal about these cupcakes. I was not to impressed with these and thought they are kind of -yuck. But they do look cute.