Saturday, May 19, 2012

Fish Scale Art

Ever since I saw this piece over on Two Thirty-Five Design  or was it at Kara Paslay Designs (can't remember) I have wanted re-create it. Eventually, I think I might want to do something along the same scale as she did, but for now I just wanted  to try my hand at it. I have three frames in the office that have gone through a few art changes none of which I super love. So this seemed like the perfect spot.

I went to Hobby lobby and picked up a circle craft punch, a couple sheets of white poster board, and a can of gold spray paint. I sprayed the sheets first. After drying time I cut them out with my craft punch and assembled them directly on the backing of the frame in a fish scale pattern. Instant cheap art.
If I were to do it over, I probably would have lined it up better for the actual square that shows and made it more even. I am also considering getting one or two more shades of gold and putting a few "scales" here and there in a different shade. We will see. I love the texture and the repeat pattern. What is filling up your walls, any homemade art projects you've tackled?

1 comment:

Grew in my heart said...

I LOVE it so much!!! I can't believe how well it turned out. The only thing that I would change is pull them closer together so you can't see a full circle like the bottom row.
LOVE YOU